Singer-composer Sudhir Phadke, 83, popularly known as ‘Babuji’ to millions of his fans, died in Mumbai on 29 July 2002 after a brain hemorrhage. He was regarded as an icon of the Marathi film industry and Marathi Sugam Sangeet for five decades.
Fondly called Babuji,Sudhir Phadke was heart of Marathi light music. Born on July 25, 1919, he went on to become one of the most popular singers and music directors of all time in Marathi cinema. He acquired his primary tutelage in vocal classical music from the late Vamanrao Padhye in Kolhapur. After beginning his career with HMV in 1941, he joined the Prabhat Film Company as music director in 1946.
He had 111 films to his credit as a music director, 21 of which are in Hindi. Phadke last sang and composed music for the Hindi film Veer Savarkar in 2002.For the last one decade, he was tenaciously involved in a unique project of producing a film on the life of freedom fighter Veer Savarkar through public donations only. He was the main inspiration and founder member of India Heritage Foundation in the United States
He had also scored the music for Apradhi, Jai Bhim, Maya Bazar, Ram Pratigya, Sant Janabai, Seeta Swayamwar, Aage Badho, Gokul and Rukmini Swayamwar among others.
Winner of numerous awards, Phadke won the Rashtrapati award in 1963 for Ha Maaza Marga Ekala. The highlight of his career, however, is the music composition of the Geet Ramayana, rendered in lyrical form by poet G D Madgulkar.
* Dehachi Tijori - Film: Aamhi Jaato Aamchya Gaava
* Uth Uth Pandharinatha -Film: Zhala Mahar Pandharinath -With Usha Atre
* Navin Aaj Chandrama - Film: Umaj Padel Tar -With Usha Atre
* Bai Mee Vikat Ghetle Shyam - Flim: Jagachya Pathivar -With Asha Bhosle
* Stree Janma Hi Tujhi Kahani -Film: Bala Jo Jo Re
* Bolat Nahi Veena - Film: Padada
* Dheere Jara Gadivana - Film: Naraveer Tanaji
* Akashi Zep Ghere Pankhara - Film: Aaram Haram Aahe
* Ugi Ugi Re Ugi - Film: Andhala Magato Ek Dola
* Vajra Chudyache Haat Jodita - Film: Kon Kunache
* Yashwant Ho Jaywant Ho - Film: Bhintila Kan Astaat
* Ladki Shankuntala - Film: Suvasini
* Manavteche Mandir Majhe - Film: Te Majhe Ghar
* Jag He Bandishala - Film: Jagachya Pathivar
* Deva Tula Daya Yeina Kashi - Film: Patlin
* Dev Devharyat Nahi - Film: Zala Mahar Pandharinath
* Vitthala Tu Veda Kumbhar - Film: Prapanch
* Tujhe Rup Chitti Raho - Film: Sant Gora Kumbhar
* Samadhi sadhan sanjeevan naam.
* Mana manav va parmeshwar
* Kuthe shodhisi rameshwar
* Tuj sagun mharo ki nirgun re
* Vimal tyagun karm falancha
* Tujhe geet ganyasathi
* Ashi Pankhare Yeti
* Priya Aaj Majhi Nase Sath Dyaya
* Sakhi Mand Jhalya Taraka
* Tya Tarustali Visarale Geet
* Antareechya Gud Garbhi
* Dolyamagale Aasu Pusti
* Swar Aale Duruni
* Dislees Tu Phulale Rutu
* Toch Chandrama Nabhat
* Dav mandun mandun Modu Nako